Municipal Biosolids Drying Facilities – Will Australia Follow Global Trends?
July 30, 2021
Many advanced biosolids treatment processes such as incineration, pyrolysis and hydrothermal carbonisation are being put into place around the world to tap into the hidden energy potential of biosolids and to deal with emerging contaminants such as PFAS. Thermal drying is a key part of these processes.
Globally, HUBER have delivered over 45 projects using their BT Belt Dryer Technology. The main drivers for these projects were to use the dried product as a renewable fuel source, reduce transport costs or to beneficially reuse as a Class A product.
As the Australian and New Zealand agent for HUBER Technology, Hydroflux Epco have access to HUBER’s global expertise in the field of biosolids treatment and integration of thermal drying into a sewage treatment plant or advanced biosolids treatment facility.
The following projects under construction demonstrates HUBER’s leading position in the field of biosolids drying:
- Mannheim STP, Germany – 3 x HUBER BT22 Belt Dryers, 36,980 t/a
- Erlangen STP, Germany – 1 x HUBER BT16 Belt Dryer, 15,700 t/a
- Halle-Lochau STP, Germany – 1 x HUBER BT20 Belt Dryer, 16,600 t/a (as part of the HUBER-WTE Sludge2Energy process)
- Cenibra STP, Brasil – 1 x HUBER BT30 Belt Dryer, 45,155 t/a
- Kassel STP, Germany – 2 x HUBER BT30 Belt Dryers, 80,000 t/a
- Zistersdorf STP, Austria – 1 x BT8 Belt Dryer, 12,000 t/a
- Utena STP, Lithuania – 1 x BT6 Dryer, 6,264 t/a
- La Crosse STP, USA – 1 x BT24 Belt Dryer, 26,571 t/a
With the need to increase beneficial reuse of biosolids, to address emerging contaminants and to make wastewater plant operations carbon neutral, there is a place for thermal drying in Australia and New Zealand.
Hydroflux Epco can assist Water Authorities and Planning Engineers with life cycle analysis, concept designs and financial/sustainability outcomes associated with a thermal drying facility.
About the Hydroflux Group
The Hydroflux Group comprises eleven companies based in Australia, New Zealand, Fiji and the UK, providing specialist design and build, equipment, processes and operational services in water and wastewater treatment and sludge treatment and dewatering. The Hydroflux Group are the exclusive Australian representatives for HUBER Technology, AEROSTRIP, CNP Technologies, Flootech MBBR, Dutch Spiral and Organica Water and incorporates EPCO Australia.
Hydroflux Pty Ltd
Level 26, 44 Market St. Sydney NSW 2000 Australia
P +61 2 9089 8833 F +61 2 9089 8830
Want to stay up-to-date with what is going on? Click Here to follow us on LinkedIn