The HyDAF Dissolved Air Flotation (DAF) system’s simplicity and exceptional performance in industrial applications are just two of the reasons why the HyDAF is the Dissolved Air Flotation system of choice for primary industrial wastewater treatment today.
Australia’s most experienced wastewater treatment company
Dissolved Air Flotation systems to suit any industry/capacity
Nationwide project delivery capability
For expert advice, please call 1300 417 697
A HyDAF HD dissolved air flotation system comprises the following main components within one packaged plant:
- Hydroflux Hex Inlet Mixer to provide superior inlet flow distribution and flocculent / recycle stream mixing for optimum flotation.
- Integrated Sludge hopper for easy settled solids removal.
- Dissolved air recycle stream injection into the Hydroflux Hex Inlet Mixer for immediate air contact with flocculent and solids particles.
- Flotation zone (DAF Zone) to provide a quiescent volume for the formation of float.
- Counter-current surface skimmer for the removal of surface float.
- Effluent discharge baffle to enhance the separation of the clarified effluent from the quiescent volume.
This micro-bubble precipitation is achieved through the following steps:
- First a recycle stream of treated effluent is taken from the discharge end of the HyDAF and is pressurised to a pressure of 400-600kPa.
- This pressurised flow is injected into specially designed process pipework called a Saturator. Air is added to the Saturator to maintain a “headspace” which acts to provide contact between the air and the treated effluent and it is here that air is dissolved into the recycle stream.
- To precipitate the dissolved air back as micro air bubbles, the pressure is relieved through a Pressure Regulating Valve (PRV). The PRV creates back pressure against the Recycle Pump and establishes the pressure in the system, and in the Saturator. This valve also provides for a high level of shear which aids in the precipitation of the air from the pressurised solution.
Hydroflux Industrial supply a comprehensive range of HyDAF dissolved air flotation systems to suit virtually any industrial application
|HyDAF dissolved air flotation model number
||Treatable flow range (KL/Hr)
There are numerous applications for the HyDAF dissolved air flotation system:
The HD range of HyDAF dissolved air flotation systems are designed for industrial applications where high solids loads are usually experienced. We have standard sizes that we manufacture but in each case we determine the most suitable model and dissolved air recycle system to suit the specific wastewater characteristics.
Yes but we have designed a GT range of dissolved air flotation systems specifically suited for treatment of wastewater from shopping centres and foods courts. Please click here
to be directed to the GT-DAF pages.
This depends. In applications where chemicals are not being used, the HyDAF dissolved air flotation system can operate and effectively treat wastewater at any flow and solids load up to its design capacity. If chemicals are being dosed, then variations in flow and solids load will adversely effect the chemical process. In these cases, the installation of a balance tank upstream of the HyDAF dissolved air flotation and a constant feed rate is recommended.
Dosing of chemicals into the wastewater upstream of the HyDAF dissolved air flotation system will improve the performance of the system. Whether it is necessary to dose chemicals depends on the water quality that is required. Hydroflux can tailor specific chemical programs to ensure performance requirements are met economically whilst minimising the amount of sludge that will be generated. For more information on our chemical division, please click here
to visit the Hydroflux Utilities web site
The amount of sludge generated depends on the amount of solids being removed and also whether chemicals are being dosed to enhance the performance of the HyDAF dissolved air flotation system. The dry solids concentration in the dissolved air flotation system sludge can be up to 10%. You can estimate the amount of sludge that will be generated by multiplying the solids load by the daily flow or alternatively give us a call and we will be able to assist. In larger applications the installation of a sludge dewatering plant will be highly economical. Please click here
for information on our range of dewatering systems.
The treated water quality depends on the nature of the raw wastewater and the chemical process that is applied. In many industrial applications, the HyDAF dissolved air flotation system can remove over 99% of solids and grease which will result in quite significant reductions in BOD and COD. Nutrients and metals can also be removed using the HyDAF dissolved air flotation process. .
Compared to the overall power requirements of a compelte wastewater treatment plant, the power demand for the actual HyDAF dissolved air flotation system is minimal. The dissolved air recycle pump draws the most power and is fitted with a motor ranging from 4 kW to 30kW depending on the size of the system.
It can but large solids can cause blockages and increase the chances of sedimentation occurring. In industrial applications we normally recommend the installation of a 1 -2 mm screen be installed upstream of the HyDAF dissolved air flotation system. For information on our range of screens, please click here
Yes the system can often be maintained by in-house personnel. Mechanically the HyDAF dissolved air flotation system rarely fails, the most common cause of poor performance is due to chemical programs malfunctioning which is usually due to changes in raw wastewater characteristics. Hydroflux can offer a service and preventative maintenance program if required via Hydroflux Utilities. Please click here
for more info.
The HyDAF HD dissolved air flotation system is available pre-fabricated with capacities up to 500KL/hr. Please click on the image below for a sample general arrangement drawing of the HyDAF HD dissolved air flotation system
HyDAF HD10 & 100
Click to download DAF brochure
Beak and Johnston
Hydroflux product solutions are fully equipped, ready for operation. This complete offer allows clients to consider the best technical solutions available via the most efficient process